Thunderton House, Thunderton Place, Elgin.
Formerly the great lodging of Scots medieval Kings, re-built by Alexander 1st Lord Duffus c1650. Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here in 1746, prior to Culloden.
Burtons High Street, Elgin.
Two commemorative stones. (1) On the left whilst facing the entrance reads, “This stone was laid by Stanley Howard Burton 1936.” The other on the right reads, “This stone laid by Raymond Montague Burton 1936.” Building date stone on top is 1888, with the letters J over E.
The High Street Fountain, Elgin.
Originally built in 1846 of ashlar stone it stands three tiers high. Decorated with lilies and lotus leaves, it is category ‘B’ listed, and was designed by Thomas MacKenzie. Plaque (1) on the west side reads: “This fountain was renovated in memory of Elgin Business man John David Ham 1937-1999.” Plaque (2) on the east side reads: “The Elgin fountain, recommissioned in golden jubilee year in the presence of HRH the Princess Royal 27th May 2002.” (A working fountain again)
Old Mills, Old Mills Road, Elgin (privately owned)
Plaque reads, “Old Mills, formerly known as the Kings Mills, and in royal hands until 1230. The oldest mill on the Lossie was then granted to the priory of Pluscarden by Alexander 11.”
Highfield House, South Street, Elgin
No plaque, but it was built c1820 as a town house by Sir Archibald Dunbar. Completely renovated inside because of dry rot, the interior is now of steel frame and bricks. The outside is original on the south side, but a Doctors surgery has been added on the north.
The West End Fountain, High Street, Elgin
“The west end fountain erected in 1892 by Elgin amenities association. Refurbished, and relocated in 1997.”
Biblical Garden, King Street, Elgin
(Open, May – September) next to the Cathedral, King Street, Elgin. Opened summer 1996. Text on the stone slab bible as you enter. Left page = Genesis 1:11. Right page = Isaiah 40:6-8. On three of the five pillars as you enter the gate are represented ‘The Woman of Samaria,’ ‘Samson,’ and ‘the Prodigal Son.’ The other to are ‘Welcome to the Biblical Garden,’ and ‘The Peoples Garden,’ how it came about. Small plaques around the garden include bible text such as Solomon 2:12, Galatians 3:26, St. John 4:14-15, St. Luke 15:18-20, Genesis 9:11-13, Genesis 8:10-11, Matthew 6:28-29, Deuteronomy 8:7-8, Proverbs 3:4-5. The resurrection is represented on a pillar in the garden. On the third day……., Etc. Matthew 27:59-, – 28:6.
Johnstons Mills, Newmill Road, Elgin
“In the words of Charles Johnston. “This building was erected in 1865 as – On the ground floor, a reading room for work people, a sales room and office. On 2nd floor one room for wool, and another for goods, and on 3rd floor a wool store.”
The Tower, 103 High Street, Elgin
“Erected in 1634, and remodelled in 1859 this three stage tower, constructed in stone rubble, is the only surviving portion of the house built by Andrew Leslie of Glen of Rothes, Merchant, and Magistrate of Elgin. A datestone and pediment bear the arms of Leslie of Abernethy, initials A L and J B for Andrew Leslie and Jean Bonyman, his wife.”
Braco’s Banking House, High Street, Elgin.
Opposite Moray Council car park “From 1703 to 1722 this building was the Banking House of William Duff of Dipple and Braco, ancestor of the Earls of Fife.” A stone on the top of Braco’s Banking House (Over A Window) is dated 1694. With the letters I D underneath. Over the other window is a five point star, and the letters M I.
Bishop’s House, King Street, Elgin
(Beside The Cathedral) “This building bears the date 1557 and the arms of Bishop Patrick Hepburn, (1535-73) and Robert Reid, Abbot of Kinloss and Bishop of Orkney. It is traditionally believed to have been the town house of the Bishops of Moray, but was probably the Precentor’s Manse. Each of the Clergy serving the Cathedral had such a Manse within the precinct.
The plan of the house is irregular. The north wing may be an addition. The main block had a vaulted kitchen, and cellar on the ground floor, a hall on the first floor, and private accomodation above.”
Lady Hill Monument, Elgin
“Erected in 1839 the 80 ft. high Tuscan column carries a 12 ft. high statue of George, 5th, and last Duke of Gordon, a renowned agriculturist and soldier.”
Elgin Castle, Ladyhill, Elgin
“The ruins of a castle approx. 240 ft. X 50 ft, once a strong hold of the early Scottish Kings was mentioned in the charter of Malcolm 1V, 1160.”
Sculptures, (Two Bronze Panels, and Mosaic), High Street, Elgin.
Bronze and Hopetoun sandstone. An interpretive work positioned on the site of the Tolbooth or Townhouse, Court and Jail. Each bronze panel depicts aspects of the towns development. The Church and Elgin Cathedral, the Tolbooth, and it’s functions, the trade and industry of the town, the architectural development of the High Street, Spynie Palace, Birnie Kirk, Pluscarden Abbey, Council Chamber, Ladyhill Castle, Royal Burgh of Elgin 1136, SIC.ITUR.AD.ASTRA, Etc. The bronze panel is surmounted by a crown representing the many royal connections with Elgin. The bronze work is supported by the statue, which has four beasts. two wild, (The Stag and the Salmon) two domestic. (The Bull and the Ram)
”Heart of Moray.” Mosaic, by Allan Potter. Agriculture, fishing industry, wild life, art, history and culture, a Fisherman, a Farmer, a Salmon, Cod, Coalfish, Plaice, Red Gurnard, and the Highlands are all represented. The mosaic measures 2 X 4 Meters.”
Muckle Cross, High Street, Elgin
“Ye Muckle X of Elgin built about 1650 – destroyed about 1792. Rebuilt and presented to his native city by William MacAndrew of Westwood House, Little Horkesley, Essex, 1888 James Black, Lord Provost.” Opposite side (East) is a Saint with the words above him, ‘Sicitur Atastra’.
Battalion Headquarters, 51st Highland Volunteers, Cooper Park, Elgin
(Now Part of Elgin’s Library) “Cuidichn Righ. 1914-1919. Erected by the Seaforth Highlanders to the undying memory of 8432 comrades belonging to the ten Battalions of the regiment who gave their lives for their country in the great war. ‘Scotland Forever’ “
“This plaque is placed here to commemorate the presentation of colours to the 2nd Battalion 51st Highland Volunteers by his Royal Highness, the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on the Cooper Park, Elgin, on Thursday, 26th June, 1986.” The hall was erected for the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
Old Public Well, High Street, Elgin
Plaque on Moray Council car park wall, High Street, Elgin. “One lies under the road 20ft. from here. Approximately 25ft. deep, 6 ft. wide, and with 8 ft. depth of water. It was filled up in March 1956.”
Pans Port, Pansport Road, Elgin
“Pans Port was one of the early 16th century gates in the boundary wall around the Cathedral precinct, with a portcullis in front of it’s great wooden doors. Arch and portcullis slot survive; the parapet and dummy slits belong to a 19th century repair.”
Elgin Cathedral Precinct Wall, Pansport Place. Elgin
“Elgin Cathedral precinct wall. This fragment of walling represents part of the medieval precinct wall that formerly enclosed Elgin Cathedral and it’s associated buildings and manses. The wall originally extended for roughly 1km in a broad arch, with the river Lossie forming the boundary on the east. This monument is cared for by Historic Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government”
Order Stone, East Road, Elgin.
Plaque beside the stone reads (Same). “Inscription on the Order Pot stone.” “1890. This stone was erected by the town council of Elgin to mark the site of the Order Pot, a circular pond about 70 ft. in diameter used of old for trial by ordeal. Though popularly believed to be bottomless, it was filled up in 1881, thus falcifying, it is hoped, an ancient prophecy, ‘The Order Pot and Lossie grey shall sweep the Chanry Kirk away.’ The original site of the Order (Ordeal) Pot Pool lies some 130 ft. north of this site.”